International Student Status
The International Student Status (EEI), regulated by Decree-Law No. 62/2018 of August 6, establishes the admission of international students from a country outside the European Union and who do not have Portuguese nationality, to undergraduate, master’s and higher technical professional courses (CTESP).
Access to higher technical professional courses, undergraduate and master’s courses is done through a special competition organized in different phases that usually takes place between January and August of each year.
Information regarding access conditions, admission, ranking, available vacancies in each course, the calendar for submitting applications, among other relevant information, is published in the specific notice of each competition.
Who can apply for the international student competition?
Students who simultaneously:
- do not have Portuguese nationality or that of another European Union country;
- have not legally resided in Portugal for more than 2 years as of January 1st of the year they intend to enter Higher Education;
- are not relatives of Portuguese citizens or nationals of other European Union countries (spouse, partner in a de facto union, direct descendant – theirs or that of their spouse or partner in a de facto union – under 21 years of age or direct ascendant who is dependent on them or on their spouse or partner in a de facto union);
- are not beneficiaries, as of January 1st of the year they intend to enter Higher Education, of the status of equal rights and duties;
- those who request admission to higher education through special access and admission regimes regulated by Decree-Law No. 393-A/99, of October 2, amended by Decree-Law No. 272/2009, of October 1.
To consult the notices for access and admission to higher education courses for the academic year 2022/2023 at IPCA, you can visit the website:
Decreto-Lei n.º62/2018, de 6 de agosto – Alteração e republicação do Estatuto do Estudante Internacional