Visa and other formalities

Students from the EU and Switzerland

The students with citizenship from countries from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) – Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway – and Switzerland do not need a Visa to enter Portugal.

These students are entitled to reside in the Portuguese national territory for up to 3 months without the need for any formalities or conditions other than to be the holders of a valid identity card or passport. Regardless, if the stay is longer than 3 months, students have to do the registration that formalises their right to residence (Registration Certificate), within 30 days after the first 3 months after arriving to Portugal. This registration must be done at the City Hall of the area of residence.

Students from Third Countries

Students with citizenship from other countries have to get a residence permit for studies before leaving their country of origin. The Visa must be requested at the nearest Portuguese Embassy or Consulate. In order to be enrolled at IPCA it is mandatory to provide the Visa. Please note that a Tourist Visa will not be accepted.

It is important to highlight that foreign students that come into Portugal through a border not subject to border control (in which the passport is not stamped upon arrival) must contact SEF – Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service, within three days from the date of arrival to the country, in order to declare their arrival. After this 3-day period, a fine will be issued.

Besides that, after their arrival, these students must request a resident permit at SEF. Usually, the requested documents to require the resident permit are:

– Passport – original and photocopy;

– Declaration stating the reason of your stay in the country, issued by IPCA;

–  Proof of livelihood;

– Proof of accommodation;

– Health insurance;

– Copy of National Taxpayer Number (NIF);

– 2 photographs.

Nevertheless, this information should be confirmed directly with SEF.